MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
ottobar lawsuit (Read 24073 times)
Baltimore, MD

Entered Apprentice
ottobar lawsuit
08/04/10 at 11:11am

anyone know whats up?  I guess not since it looks like they can't talk about.....doesn't sound good

"NEW
Saturday August 14th
MEOUCH!!
OTTOBAR BENEFIT PARTY!
WE'VE BEEN THERE FOR YOU, NOW WE NEED YOUR HELP!
PROCEEDS WILL BE USED IN A PENDING LAWSUIT.
FOR LEGAL PURPOSES WE CANNOT DISCUSS THE REASON FOR THIS EVENT.
DJS AND DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT LONG.
YOU CAN GET A 10 DOLLAR TICKET AT MISSIONTIX.COM, WITH NO SERVICE CHARGE.
YOU CAN ALSO GET TICKETS AT THE DOOR.
WE SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. "

View Profile   IP Logged
Charles Village

the internet was
awesome today!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Re: ottobar lawsuit
Reply #1 - 08/04/10 at 1:19pm

Whoa for real?  So many Baltimore venues are in trouble.  I wonder what 2011 is going to look like.

View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Lemuria

Master Mason
Reply #2 - 08/04/10 at 1:34pm

Juxton wrote on 08/04/10 at 1:19pm:
 I wonder what 2011 is going to look like.

Frat bars and jockstep.

UNRULY RECORDS + CULLEN STALIN = NO RULE : EVERY MONDAY AT METRO GALLERY
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #3 - 08/04/10 at 2:14pm

Maybe some performer/patron got drunk and fell down and hurt him/herself.

Probably some stupid shit like that.

View Profile | WWW   IP Logged
remington

park it yourself,
metallica breath

Master Mason
Reply #4 - 08/04/10 at 2:22pm

cullen stalin wrote on 08/04/10 at 1:34pm:
Juxton wrote on 08/04/10 at 1:19pm:
 I wonder what 2011 is going to look like.

Frat bars and jockstep.

whartscape will be hosted by a bar in fells point ending in -ers

View Profile   IP Logged
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #5 - 08/04/10 at 3:08pm

grammartime wrote on 08/04/10 at 2:22pm:
whartscape will be hosted by a bar in fells point ending in -ers

Is that bar still around? I think I spotted a sign in its place calling it something stupid that I cannot recall at this moment.

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #6 - 08/04/10 at 3:12pm

insurance company finding a loophole (stagediving = 'assault & battery') to not pay for something despite years of being paid tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

[just what I've heard but I'm not a representative of the bar etc etc]

« Last Edit: 08/04/10 at 3:16pm by karamae »  
View Profile   IP Logged
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #7 - 08/04/10 at 3:15pm

Ahaha, I suspected an insurance company was involved somehow. They are such scum.

Here's a story from DNA Lounge in San Francisco:

Quote:
Several years ago, there was some kind of scuffle and one of our customers who was dancing on the stage fell off and hurt her ankle. She sued us. I'm not sure what exactly her reasoning was, but she did, because this is America, and you can sue anybody for anything. She claimed she had spent $4,000 on medical bills (chiropractors!) and asked for $500,000 in pain and suffering.

We learned in the discovery phase that this woman had also been in three automobile accidents in the previous two years, for which she had been going to chiropractors already. How about that.

We submitted this claim to our insurance company, like you do, and their lawyers handled it. They ended up settling the case by paying her around $11,000. And here's where it gets fun:

Our deductible was $10,000. So the lawyer, who was working for the insurance company, did right by the insurance company. It only cost them $1,000! But he didn't try to negotiate anything lower, because that would have been a waste of his time, since he wasn't working for us, and that was the part we would have to pay. Oh, but it gets better.

It turns out that the fine print on our insurance said, in longwinded, 4-point, incomprehensible legalese, that the rates we had been paying for years were merely "estimates". So after our claim, the insurance company "audited" us, and retroactively raised our rates for the last four years by $20,000 per year. So the fact that we filed a claim at all caused the insurance company to demand an additional $80,000 from us.

At that point, we hired our own lawyer who negotiated that $80,000 down to $40,000, paid out over a year instead of being due immediately. Plus several thousand more for the new lawyer, obviously.

In summary... Customer with a fake injury sues us for half a million dollars. Ends up getting $11k, of which her lawyer probably takes half. We're out almost $60k. Insurance company turns a $40k profit.

What's the lesson here, kids?

I think it's, "people are scum" and/or "never start a business."

I am people!

Reply #8 - 08/04/10 at 7:35pm

karamae wrote on 08/04/10 at 3:12pm:
insurance company finding a loophole (stagediving = 'assault & battery') to not pay for something despite years of being paid tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

[just what I've heard but I'm not a representative of the bar etc etc]

nothing's been filed in Maryland courts vs. any of the owners (as far as I can find)

there is a pending suit against Vice LLC  (aka Fletchers) in Towson District Court for unpaid bills, it would seem

View Profile   IP Logged
In front of a computer

I am hearts!

Master Mason
Reply #9 - 08/04/10 at 9:27pm

This thread makes me think of Stringer Bell.

Hearts Love intrigue Niceness and Kisses

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #10 - 08/05/10 at 10:38am

since Vice LLC (aka Fletchers) is out of business, I doubt whoever is pursuing that lawsuit is going to get much out of it.

I am people!

Reply #11 - 08/05/10 at 7:58pm

joshsisk wrote on 08/05/10 at 10:38am:
since Vice LLC (aka Fletchers) is out of business, I doubt whoever is pursuing that lawsuit is going to get much out of it.

well, the resident agent of Vice LLC is still responsible, I believe, and I also believe he co-owns the Ottobar...

View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #12 - 08/05/10 at 9:52pm

yes he does but they are completely separate entities and liabilities so I don't see the relevance.
The ottobar and vice are not tied together legally or financially in any way.

anyway, I hope to see some of yall that evening.. hopefully they can get together some money for the person who was injured, which is what it really boils down to. (but can't be advertised as such for legal reasons and for the privacy of that person.)

View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Reply #13 - 08/05/10 at 11:33pm

shadowcity wrote on 08/05/10 at 7:58pm:
joshsisk wrote on 08/05/10 at 10:38am:

well, the resident agent of Vice LLC is still responsible, I believe, and I also believe he co-owns the Ottobar...

hmmm so "Save The Ottobar" is a veil for "Pay for Fletcher's legal fees and unpaid bills"

View Profile   IP Logged
Baltimore

Q411

Entered Apprentice
Reply #14 - 08/06/10 at 12:55am

Way to read the thread, sport.

electro-shock for student body treasurer
View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #15 - 08/06/10 at 3:34pm

The whole point of forming an LLC is to protect your other/personal assets so no, any debts of Fletchers are not the Ottobars.

I am people!

Reply #16 - 08/06/10 at 5:53pm

karamae wrote on 08/05/10 at 9:52pm:
yes he does but they are completely separate entities and liabilities so I don't see the relevance.

cash is cash

View Profile   IP Logged
Lemuria

Master Mason
Reply #17 - 08/06/10 at 7:30pm

joshsisk wrote on 08/06/10 at 3:34pm:
The whole point of forming an LLC is to protect your other/personal assets so no, any debts of Fletchers are not the Ottobars.

UNRULY RECORDS + CULLEN STALIN = NO RULE : EVERY MONDAY AT METRO GALLERY

I am people!

Reply #18 - 08/07/10 at 11:56pm

cullen stalin wrote on 08/06/10 at 7:30pm:
joshsisk wrote on 08/06/10 at 3:34pm:

I am not saying that any debts/legal fees of Fletchers are the Ottobars.  An LLC doesn't protect you from losing your investment.  One could then see the possibility of an owner exploiting their popular brand by a misrepresentation of the facts (save the ottobar!), in order to recoup loses from another venture.

But this is just nonsense message board speculation.

View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #19 - 08/08/10 at 1:46pm

yes it sure is.. especially since I already stated what actually happened/is happening before the nonsense speculation began.
I figured it wasn't worth responding to because anyone who would come up with such theories is probably unlikely to want to support the ottobar anyway but now I'll just go ahead and say:
If anyone reading this is curious, then go ahead and ask around.. or even contact the original owner Mike, who has no reason to do anything shady to recover money for a venture that he was not involved in.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3