MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
BALTIMORE ROUND ROBIN.... Baltimore show!!! (Read 24288 times)

I am people!

Fellow Craft
BALTIMORE ROUND ROBIN.... Baltimore show!!!
11/03/08 at 2:34pm

the tour's "homecoming" show, so to speak

Sonar
Main Room

EYES NIGHT 18th of DECEMBER, THURSDAY
FEET NIGHT 19th of DECEMBER, FRIDAY

$8 or $15 for a two day pass

tickets should go on sale soon

« Last Edit: 11/03/08 at 2:38pm by camouflage2 »  

Palin / Clinton 2012: Don't Call It A Comeback!
View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Fellow Craft
Re: BALTIMORE ROUND ROBIN.... Baltimore show!!!
Reply #1 - 11/04/08 at 8:10am

This is going to be so awesome! After all the people talking
about how badly they wanted a Baltimore show on the tour
I'm surprised by the lack o' replies. Anyway:

I was seriously getting bored of playing music and touring
and all that's involved in it BUT being on tour with these 56
people for 18 days totally turned me around and I'm actually
excited to be in a band again. The line-up for people who
don't know or forgot:

EYES NIGHT
beach house
creepers
jana hunter
lesser gonzalez alvarez
lexie mountain boys
nautical almanac
santa dads
teeth mountain
blue leader
ed schrader
wzt hearts

FEET NIGHT
adventure
blood baby
dan deacon
the deathset
dj dog dick
double dagger
future islands
height
lizz king
nuclear power pants
smart growth
videohippos

WEIRD ROUNDS:
boo boos
cornelious and pitifa
funny clown
mark brown
ram ones
show beast
sports ghosts

PLUS:
hopefully some of the collaborations that happened
on the road will come home to this show as well

View Profile   IP Logged
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #2 - 11/04/08 at 8:35am

Feet Night is killer! Definitely down for both nights.

IP Logged
Bmore

Master Mason
Reply #3 - 11/04/08 at 8:51am

super excited.

Aural States
http://www.auralstates.com
Music blogging by music geeks, for music geeks.
View Profile | WWW   IP Logged

silver sprung

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #4 - 11/04/08 at 9:07am

I would like to see more of these bands' members posting about their shows here (or whomever does promo for them).  Right now,

ed schrader
wzt hearts
dan deacon
the deathset
double dagger
smart growth

out of all the bands, the ones above are the only ones mentioned here regularly, despite the fact that this tour is supposed to be the "who's who" in the baltimore scene (from what I understand).

I got so much love to give!
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #5 - 11/04/08 at 9:44am

SMOOOOOTH wrote on 11/04/08 at 9:07am:
ed schrader/wzt hearts/dan deacon/the deathset/double dagger/smart growth

out of all the bands, the ones above are the only ones mentioned here regularly, despite the fact that this tour is supposed to be the "who's who" in the baltimore scene (from what I understand).

More like a Who's Who in-so-far-as-related-to-Wham City...while it has big names, it's no where near being representative of the overall Baltimore music scene.

As far as which bands are discussed/mentioned more often, I'd add these acts to that list:

beach house/jana hunter/lesser gonzalez alvarez/lexie mountain boys/nautical almanac/teeth mountain/ed schrader/adventure/future islands/height

I think it's a fantastic representation of Wham City-related bands.

IP Logged
Bmorz

i am not richard
ramirez, a troll, or
grover.

Master Mason
Reply #6 - 11/04/08 at 10:07am

celebration, arboretum, ruiner, actually not even going to start the list of bands not mentioned here. but yeah, a thats a good representation of WHAM CITY related bands.

"I love to kill people. I love to watch them die. I would shoot them in the head and they would wiggle and squirm all over the place, and then just stop. Or I would cut them with a knife and watch their faces turn real white. I love all that blood."
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #7 - 11/04/08 at 10:15am

While there are def some Wham City acts on this list, the majority of musicians are not from the Wham City collective. So, what is a "Wham City-related band"? I don't get it. Is it any band from Bmore who has played shows with Wham City acts? Is it some essential similarity between all these groups that I am somehow not picking up on?

Real tired of 'Wham City' being used as this catch-all umbrella for griping about how only certain acts & musicians get attention in this city. It's both inaccurate and petty.

macroint

Ex Member
Reply #8 - 11/04/08 at 11:02am

rae wrote on 11/04/08 at 10:15am:
While there are def some Wham City acts on this list, the majority of musicians are not from the Wham City collective. So, what is a "Wham City-related band"? I don't get it. Is it any band from Bmore who has played shows with Wham City acts?

Yeah, I'd go for that definition of Wham City-related...bands that play shows, fairly regularly, with other Wham City bands or, at least, participate in more than one Whartscape year. I don't think it's disparaging to any of the bands, or Wham City, by calling them "related" bands. I don't think Double Dagger is part of Wham City, but I'd label them Wham City related (only insofar as this or another Wham City discussion...I wouldn't use the term in describing the band nor would I use it if they were playing a show without any Wham City tie-in.

I'm not sure why you added "Real tired of 'Wham City' being used as this catch-all umbrella for griping about how only certain acts & musicians get attention in this city. It's both inaccurate and petty." though...I don't think anyone's slammed Wham City in this thread.

IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #9 - 11/04/08 at 11:42am

Quote:
thats a good representation of WHAM CITY related bands.

Quote:
More like a Who's Who in-so-far-as-related-to-Wham City...while it has big names, it's no where near being representative of the overall Baltimore music scene.

Quote:
...despite the fact that this tour is supposed to be the "who's who" in the baltimore scene (from what I understand).

I wasn't referring to people slamming Wham City. Instead I was pointing out that lumping all the acts on this tour under the umbrella name of Wham City is inaccurate and petty. The term 'Wham City-related' is misleading. In this city's underground music scene, everyone is related to everyone else in some way. If you think about it, describing an act that is not part of the Wham City collective as 'Wham City-related' is rather meaningless. It doesn't describe the act. It doesn't clarify anything. In fact it further clouds perceptions.

This is a detriment to musicians as it implies they are only getting attention/success because they are 'Wham City-related.' Which has got to be frustrating if you are not in the collective and have been working hard to get your music out there. Ultimately, this inaccuracy stokes bad feelings by feeding into the persistent complaint that Wham City acts (and any group that is lumped in with Wham City, accurate or not) are somehow getting more attention than other Baltimore acts. The implicit message being that this is unfair & other acts are more deserving.

As for representation, mentioned in all the above quotes, I think it's clear that NO TOUR could ever represent all facets of the music scene in any major city. Nor do I think this tour was out to be a definitive exposition of Bmore's music scene.

Mainly though, I'm irritated by this tendency to lump all the acts on this tour into Wham City as I find it a real disservice to the individual acts on the bill.

macroint

Ex Member
Reply #10 - 11/04/08 at 12:03pm

rae wrote on 11/04/08 at 11:42am:
I wasn't referring to people slamming Wham City. Instead I was pointing out that lumping all the acts on this tour under the umbrella name of Wham City is inaccurate and petty.

Ok, I'll give that it's inaccurate...but petty? I'm not using "Wham City-related" as a disparaging comment at all.

Quote:
The term 'Wham City-related' is misleading. In this city's underground music scene, everyone is related to everyone else in some way.

Some not more than others?

Quote:
If you think about it, describing an act that is not part of the Wham City collective as 'Wham City-related' is rather meaningless. It doesn't describe the act. It doesn't clarify anything. In fact it further clouds perceptions.

I'll give you that one...it is meaningless and I'm not sure why I used the term.

Quote:
Mainly though, I'm irritated by this tendency to lump all the acts on this tour into Wham City as I find it a real disservice to the individual acts on the bill.

Again, I'm sorry about that. I won't refer to any more bands as Wham City-related.

IP Logged
baltimore

I am peepholes!

Fellow Craft
Reply #11 - 11/04/08 at 12:16pm

FYI

Wzt Hearts is NOT playing, or for that matter a band anymore...

the name will still be on the posters as they were made before the end of the band, but it'll most likely be Shaun Flynn, Dave Zimmerman and Mark Brown in a trio which was the band that took over for Wzt Hearts in the touring version of the RR.

View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
remington

park it yourself,
metallica breath

Master Mason
Reply #12 - 11/04/08 at 1:17pm

i'm glad davey z is playing a bunch
i really enjoy his racket

View Profile   IP Logged
Charmtown

What?

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #13 - 11/04/08 at 6:19pm

Just to clarify: more than 1/2 of the bands listed do have members in Wham City proper, which is completely understandable considering that Dan Deacon curated the tour. Why wouldn't he invite his buddies? That said, Rae, I think your points are valid that people should stop constantly criticizing Wham City and whatnot, but this thread wasn't evidence of that at all, and I think your reaction to the "related" stuff is a bit harsher than need be.

(Bold indicates bands with members officially in Wham City ::: I might be missing some and may have some mistakes, but I don't think so.)

Quote:
EYES NIGHT
beach house
creepers
jana hunter
lesser gonzalez alvarez
lexie mountain boys
nautical almanac
santa dads
teeth mountain
blue leader
ed schrader
wzt hearts

FEET NIGHT
adventure
blood baby
dan deacon
the deathset
dj dog dick
double dagger
future islands
height
lizz king
nuclear power pants
smart growth
videohippos

This show should be a lot of fun! I'm definitely down for "Eyes Night," and we'll have to wait and see about "Feet Night."

« Last Edit: 11/04/08 at 6:20pm by b     o     b »  
View Profile   IP Logged
roland park

410G

Entered Apprentice
Reply #14 - 11/04/08 at 6:51pm

b     o     b wrote on 11/04/08 at 6:19pm:
I think your points are valid that people should stop constantly criticizing Wham City and whatnot,

nothing but candy on the menu and yr surprised that some ppl have tummyaches?

I am people!

Fellow Craft
Reply #15 - 11/04/08 at 7:12pm

Defining who or what is and isn't Wham City is irrelevant
to this because it's not about Wham City. Was it curated
by Dan Deacon of Wham City? Yes. Does it include bands
and people also of Wham City? Yes. Does it include a shit
ton of people who just happen to be friends with Wham
City people or doing something that they appreciate? Yes!
Dan was VERY explicit with the tour that it not be booked
as Wham City, but as Baltimore. Is it all-encompassing?
Of course not. Does that mean it shouldn't be called the
Baltimore Round Robin tour? Of course not. GET OVER IT.

View Profile   IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #16 - 11/04/08 at 7:32pm

Not to drag this out much more but I never said people should stop constantly criticizing Wham City. I mean, that would be cool. But it wasn't what I was getting at. Apologies for any murkiness in my meaning. Nolen has said it best.

macroint

Ex Member
Reply #17 - 11/04/08 at 7:37pm

airplaneglue1 wrote on 11/04/08 at 12:16pm:
Wzt Hearts is NOT playing, or for that matter a band anymore...

You enjoy throwing salt in the wound, don't you?

IP Logged
Charmtown

What?

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #18 - 11/04/08 at 8:59pm

camouflage2 wrote on 11/04/08 at 7:12pm:
GET OVER IT.

Who are you addressing here? If it's directed at me, I'm sorry if it bothers you that I put some names in bold. That was done to legitimize my comment to Rae that over 1/2 of the bands have members that are actually in Wham City. Notice, however, that in my post I said pretty much the same thing you did in that "Who cares?" if Dan picked his buddies to tour with him. It's his prerogative.

Sorry for dragging this out. I won't clog up the show thread with anymore comments.

« Last Edit: 11/04/08 at 9:03pm by b     o     b »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Hargs Metropolis

sir goodgoodsly

Entered Apprentice
Reply #19 - 11/07/08 at 12:30am

Hey Bob, you forgot Nuclear Power Pants. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3