MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

WEBZINE
A/V CLUB
Pages: 1 2 
The Charles revivals - Goddard series? (Read 14300 times)
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
The Charles revivals - Goddard series?
01/07/09 at 12:13pm

Is the Charles running a Goddard revival series? There's one for this and next week but no information about what follows.

There's so much Goddard I've yet to see.

View Profile | WWW   IP Logged

Master Mason
Re: The Charles revivals - Goddard series?
Reply #1 - 01/07/09 at 12:18pm

this week has been Masculin Feminin, one of my all-time favorite films -- last chance to see it Thursday at 9.

I think they're picking up one more stray Godard next week (Two or Three Things I Know About Her) and then moving on... rumor is there's Altman or Fellini series in the works.

daily drinker of Red Emma's coffee!
View Profile   IP Logged

Master Mason
Re: The Charles revivals - Godard series?
Reply #2 - 01/08/09 at 4:34pm

last chance for Masculin Feminin on the big screen is tonight (Thurs), 9pm!

View Profile   IP Logged
remington

park it yourself,
metallica breath

Master Mason
Reply #3 - 01/08/09 at 4:45pm

onetet wrote on 01/07/09 at 12:18pm:
this week has been Masculin Feminin, one of my all-time favorite films -- last chance to see it Thursday at 9.

I think they're picking up one more stray Godard next week (Two or Three Things I Know About Her) and then moving on... rumor is there's Altman or Fellini series in the works.

i'd give anything to see short cuts in a theater!

View Profile   IP Logged

Master Mason
Reply #4 - 01/08/09 at 4:51pm

i'm fairly certain you'll get your wish re: short cuts. it's been mentioned for that series.

when that film came out i dragged two different groups of friends to see it, a long drive from our college to the nearest theatre. both groups hated it, but that movie was huge to me at the time and i would enjoy revisiting it.

View Profile   IP Logged
DC-BMORE

back back, forth and
forth.

Entered Apprentice
Webzine Staff
Reply #5 - 01/08/09 at 6:56pm

I'M GLAD I JUST SAW THIS.  I LOVE ME SOME GODDARD!

View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Fellow Craft
Reply #6 - 01/09/09 at 10:37am

I am a big fan of Short Cuts.

View Profile   IP Logged
Charles Village

the internet was
awesome today!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #7 - 01/09/09 at 2:44pm

terrasect wrote on 01/09/09 at 10:37am:
I am a big fan of Short Cuts.

View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
baltimore

time is a weapon of
time

Master Mason
Reply #8 - 01/10/09 at 2:56am

I really hope they play the Long Goodbye and Nashville

Once an experience is taken out of the real world it becomes a commodity. As a commodity the spectacular is developed to the detriment of the real. It becomes a substitute for experience."
- Larry Law
View Profile   IP Logged

Master Mason
Reply #9 - 01/15/09 at 4:26pm

The very challenging Two Or Three Things I Know About Her ends tonight. Anyone down? I'm going to brave the 8-degree temps and head down there, I think.

View Profile   IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #10 - 01/16/09 at 12:03pm

eskimoprizefighter wrote on 01/10/09 at 2:56am:
I really hope they play the Long Goodbye and Nashville

Yes! Nashville!

Master Mason
Reply #11 - 01/16/09 at 12:36pm

the # of people coming out for the Godard films has been impressive. It's  quite a testament to him that he still remains a draw, and that seeing his films is stoll a challenge. he had so many ideas about new directions for film, new ways films could look and be, and so many of those ideas haven't been followed up on by others.

the large attendance for these Godards, coupled with the poster hanging in their lobby for his CONTEMPT, made me hope the Charles was going to keep going with a larger Godard series.

However, HOLY SHIT! I couldn't be happier about what they're showing next, it's a legendary (and legendarily hard-to-find) film I've wanted to see for years!

BALTIMORE PREMIERE
THE EXILES

Showtimes: SATURDAY, 1/17 (NOON); MONDAY, 1/19 (7 PM); THURSDAY, 1/22 (9 PM).

(1961 Kent MacKenzie) Mary Donahue, Homer Nish, Clydean Parker, Tom Reynolds, Rico Rodriguez. 72m. bw. Official Site Winner of a 2008 National Society of FIlm Critics Film Heritage Award.

"Kent Mackenzie’s miraculous independent film, made between 1958 and 1961 with scrounged film, borrowed equipment, donated services, and free labor, has, scandalously, not been released commercially until now. Mackenzie, while a U.S.C. film student, befriended Native Americans who had left their reservations and towns for Los Angeles, and he persuaded them to reënact scenes from their own lives for the camera. The resulting drama, a Pilgrim’s Progress of three characters through a night of urban loneliness and dissipation, has an epic grandeur and a monumental intimacy that belies its mere seventy-two minutes. Yvonne, who is pregnant and dreams of a better life for her child, drains away the hours watching B-Westerns in an all-night grind house while her layabout boyfriend, Homer, goes out to drink and gamble. Tommy, a smooth operator, hangs out in bars and tries to pick up women but likens his life to “doing time on the outside.” Mackenzie films the minutely incremental action (or, more often, inaction) in strikingly textured and composed images (the night photography alone would make the film immortal), balancing them with the character’s revealing, poignant voice-over monologues. Few directors in the history of cinema have so skillfully and deeply joined a sense of place with the subtle flux of inner life." (Richard Brody, The New Yorker)

View Profile   IP Logged

Master Mason
Charles revivals - The Exiles/ Godard series?
Reply #12 - 01/22/09 at 3:40pm

last chance to see THE EXILES is tonight, Thursday, at 9pm!

http://www.exilesfilm.com/

"The restoration and long-delayed commercial release of 'The Exiles,' a 1961 film about a largely forgotten corner of that deceptively bright city, is nothing less than a welcome act of defiant remembrance..."
—MANOHLA DARGIS
NEW YORK TIMES

"MIRACULOUS...the night photography alone would make the film immortal."
—RICHARD BRODY
THE NEW YORKER

View Profile   IP Logged

Master Mason
Reply #13 - 01/23/09 at 9:17am

Godard's back this week with CONTEMPT!

Sat noon, Mon 7, Thurs 9.

View Profile   IP Logged
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #14 - 01/23/09 at 9:50am

I don't think I've seen any films with Bardot. I need to fix that.

baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #15 - 01/28/09 at 11:16am

Contempt - some food for thought there. Pretty dense. I just let the whole Fritz Lang thing go over my head. I couldn't keep up with that. But it's an interesting (that is to say unbearable but true) look at love and marital relationships.

So, am I to understand that Bande A Part is showing next? No info on The Charles's website but a review in City Paper. I really wanted to save that movie for a special occasion but I guess if it's showing on the big screen I may as well see it.

« Last Edit: 01/28/09 at 2:36pm by digital djigit »  

Master Mason
Reply #16 - 01/28/09 at 11:56am

looking forward to seeing this again tomorrow (thurs) night. haven't heard about bande a part, but if so i'll eagerly rewatch it as well.

as i recall, the fritz lang character "fritz lang" basically allows Godard to bitch about the state of the film industry circa the early 60s, with the legendary director reliant on work from a superficial producer who has little understanding of film history or film as art, and is obsessed with ridiculous "epic" projects due to their marketability at the time.

View Profile   IP Logged
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #17 - 01/28/09 at 2:37pm

Fritz Lang also goes into metaphysics or something. He quotes a lot but I really didn't understand what that was about.

Master Mason
Reply #18 - 01/28/09 at 2:43pm

digital djigit wrote on 01/28/09 at 2:37pm:
Fritz Lang also goes into metaphysics or something. He quotes a lot but I really didn't understand what that was about.

ah, I don't remember that too well. He's not just quoting from The Odyssey (or whichever big-budget epic the producer is pushing on him)? I'll watch again tomorrow night and see if it makes any sense to me.

Sometimes, especially with later (80s onward) Godard, I just let the dialogue wash over me instead of trying to process literal meaning for everything said. Particularly true once he became obsesssed with layering dialogue spoken by character who talk over each other with multiple narrative voices -- all having to be read by me through subtitles, natch.

View Profile   IP Logged
College Park, MD

My Fellow
Prisoners...

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #19 - 01/28/09 at 2:47pm

I watched Contempt again recently and thought it was pretty good.  I thought about it alot after watching it but I can't remember everything.

I thought Lang worked on a number of levels.  First, obviously, he's there as a tribute.  The writer character is supposed to be selling out, like Lang (we would understand Lang to be a true artist selling out).  But the movie they're making, itself, is supposed to be a parallel to the writer's relationship.  Intentionally or not, 'Fritz Lang directs The Odyssey' is just kinda comic, so that works for me.  The actually scenes they are shooting I thought looked cool and weird.

Of course, I've seen other Godard stuff (can't remember off the top of my head) that has alot of intellectual rambling, so there you go.

« Last Edit: 01/28/09 at 2:48pm by Carl is a Jerk »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2