MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

WEBZINE
A/V CLUB
Pages: 1
TMT: Double Dagger of Bawmor are shuttin' down after nine years and playing dair last show downey Ottobar on a Fridee in October. B'lieve. (Read 1847 times)
New Jersey

Self-aware Pretenses

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
TMT: Double Dagger of Bawmor are shuttin' down after nine years and playing dair last show downey Ottobar on a Fridee in October. B'lieve.
09/15/11 at 12:14pm

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/double-dagger-bawmor-are-shuttin-down-after-nin...

Quote:
After nine years, three albums, a butt-load of EPs and singles, Double Dagger are calling it quits. Their reason, as posted this afternoon on their website, was this:

Like any relationship's end, it's complex, but for us it mostly comes down to time. As the band got older and grew and changed, the people in it did too, and our individual lives are pulling us towards other pursuits. With this in mind, we decided to focus on playing a few final shows in some of our favorite cities, and go out on a high note instead of slowing fading away. We still like the music, the shows, and each other, and we think it's best to bring things to a close while we can still devote our full energy to this music.

Okay, that's fair. That doesn't mean I like it. I have a big case of the sads. However, this isn't the END end. The band has been working on a few new songs that will be released posthumously, most likely via Thrill Jockey. Their last show will take place on Friday, October 21, 2011 at the Ottobar in Baltimore with "awesome secret guests." If you can't make it to Baltimore, they also have dates in DC, Brooklyn, Cleveland, and two shows in Chicago (one listed as TBD, because I bet it's some sweaty house show).

Goodbye, Double Dagger. I will never forget being 16 and getting kicked in the face and having a black eye and busted lip and telling my mom I tripped at work.

Final dates:

10.14.11 - Chicago, IL - Ultra Lounge
10.15.11 - Chicago, IL - TBD
10.16.11 - Cleveland, OH - Now That's Class
10.19.11 - Washington DC - Black Cat
10.20.11 - Brooklyn, NY - Death By Audio ^
10.21.11 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar *

* with "awesome secret special guests!!!"

• Double Dagger: http://www.posttypography.com/doubledagger
• Thrill Jockey: http://www.thrilljockey.com

Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
College Park, MD

My Fellow
Prisoners...

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Re: TMT: Double Dagger of Bawmor are shuttin' down after nine years and playing dair last show downey Ottobar on a Fridee in October. B'lieve.
Reply #1 - 09/15/11 at 4:21pm

damn.  definitely going to try and hit that dc show.

View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Re: TMT: Double Dagger of Bawmor are shuttin' down after nine years and playing dair last show downey Ottobar on a Fridee in October. B'lieve.
Reply #2 - 09/15/11 at 10:58pm

this is my essay on it:

As an artist/almost musician this makes sense to me from a creative standpoint. Masks, and possibly a posthumous recording of equal or greater value, was really the forte of this band's sound as it has been. They would have to continuously try to reinvent themselves to keep going, and I've seen from other bands breaking up, they may want to reinvent themselves in three different directions. There's also a bravery involved as a creative person- you have to risk everything sometimes- throw out your laurels and risk failing- endure living out side your comfort zone- in order to accomplish anything worth while. And all of these guys are really intelligent creative people.

But what's really surreal about this is Double Dagger has been part my life for my entire adulthood- and that probably applies to everyone who is a fan. I learned about all of the venues I know of, all of the new torch bearer Baltimore bands, and all of the kids I recognize from these venues from going to Double Dagger shows. It's not just losing the possibility of a record every-so-often, it's losing the identity of a band that has helped make baltimore as great as it is. And I realized part of the appeal of punk rock, and why if you look at the Double Dagger crowd, why the most common trait seems to be that we're all pretty unique. Because punk rock was built by the underdogs. People who simply do not agree with the social architecture that's been set in place by those before us, and at the very least refuse to pretend.

I don't think there's going to be another band that will perfectly fill the void Double Dagger will leave. But as far as timing goes, Dope Body and Future Islands are both taking off and I think both bands have been really influenced by these guys, which seems like a nice continuation. Denny apparently decided he needs to stand up, play guitar, and sing, and also another band something about "power violence". No one is going to get Nolen to shut up or stop licking people's shoes. I'm really interested to see what happens when Bruce's tremendous song writing skills are applied to a different project. We have alot of great venues run by people who give a shit. And as long as posttypograpy keeps up supplied with visual terror. I think things will be alright.

« Last Edit: 09/16/11 at 11:38am by WILDhearses »  
View Profile   IP Logged

Entered Apprentice
Webzine Staff
Reply #3 - 09/15/11 at 11:51pm

I think you mean "throw" not "through".

View Profile | WWW   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #4 - 09/16/11 at 10:22am

Probably- I wrote that really quickly and don't generally feel like I did as good a job as I could have.

Also I blame spell check.

« Last Edit: 09/16/11 at 11:38am by WILDhearses »  
View Profile   IP Logged

Entered Apprentice
Webzine Staff
Reply #5 - 09/20/11 at 10:35am

Carl is a Jerk wrote on 09/15/11 at 4:21pm:
damn.  definitely going to try and hit that dc show.

I'm convinced.  I'll join you.

View Profile | WWW   IP Logged
In front of a computer

I am hearts!

Master Mason
Reply #6 - 09/20/11 at 1:09pm

Meh.  I always thought they were kind of boring.

Hearts Love intrigue Niceness and Kisses
View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged

I am people!

Fellow Craft
Reply #7 - 09/21/11 at 1:04pm

THere's also shows

10:12 at CCAS
and
10:13 in Detroit

Not sure why that article missed those as it cut and pasted the dates...

Palin / Clinton 2012: Don't Call It A Comeback!
View Profile   IP Logged

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #8 - 09/25/11 at 2:41pm

I made this

View Profile   IP Logged
College Park, MD

My Fellow
Prisoners...

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #9 - 10/20/11 at 12:13pm

h_lina_k wrote on 09/20/11 at 1:09pm:
Meh.  I always thought they were kind of boring.

For the record, h_lina_k was dancing hard at the dc show last night.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1