A/V CLUB
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Getting to know youz (Read 39408 times)
macroint

Ex Member
Re: Getting to know youz
Reply #40 - 01/29/08 at 9:56am

bbrhodes wrote on 01/29/08 at 9:40am:
and atted UMD, College Park working on a degree in Library Science...

I got my MLS from College Park in '03...librarians do it between the covers.

IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #41 - 01/29/08 at 9:58am

macroint wrote on 01/29/08 at 9:56am:
bbrhodes wrote on 01/29/08 at 9:40am:
and atted UMD, College Park working on a degree in Library Science...

I got my MLS from College Park in '03...librarians do it between the covers.

NERD!

View Profile | WWW   IP Logged
remington

park it yourself,
metallica breath

Master Mason
Reply #42 - 02/22/08 at 4:20pm

i'm kate.  i'll be 29 next month.  i'm real southern.  i'm excel at tetris, casseroles, hugging, drop d and going to bed early.  i eat spaghettios for lunch everyday.  i moved to baltimore two years ago.  eskimoprizefighter has helped me move three times.

View Profile   IP Logged
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #43 - 02/22/08 at 4:23pm

grammartime wrote on 02/22/08 at 4:20pm:
i eat spaghettios for lunch everyday.  

Every day?

IP Logged
remington

park it yourself,
metallica breath

Master Mason
Reply #44 - 02/22/08 at 4:28pm

everyday.  for years.  i have crohn's disease so canned foods pose no threat to tender guts.  ALSO they are loaded with calcium.

hey do you have a big dead catalog?
ive been missing a tape i had from fillmore east in 73 (i think) that opens with help.slip.frank and MIGHT be the best dancin in the streets ive ever heard.  the best meaning i guess that horrible donna was out sick that day or something.

View Profile   IP Logged
midtown

multiplicitous

Master Mason
Reply #45 - 02/25/08 at 7:56pm

I'm Jared. I turned 27 in October and may actually make my birthday cake tomorrow. I generally enjoy cooking, but like so many other things in my life, my ability lags my self-reception. I frequently wish I had more flexibility through my hips, and if I were the fashion police, more women would wear hats. I once gained 40 pounds in 4 months (which was quite a bit more disgusting than it sounds). I fidget obsessively, chiefly through rubbing my hands together when stationary (whence comes my fondness for board and card games) and through a series of ritualized step patterns when I walk. My favorite color is brown, my favorite fruit is lemon, and I can't for the life of me understand why my 17 year old female cousin doesn't love Ashlee Simpson half as much as I do (which, in my defense, is, to the extent that it is visceral, entirely about her music rather than her self--she hasn't a head for hats at all, you see).

I much prefer parenthetical asides to footnotes or, heaven forbid, endnotes. Don't you?

[edit:  gaffy]

« Last Edit: 02/26/08 at 3:04pm by plurally »  
View Profile | AIM   IP Logged
Hampden

ce ne fait rien.

Master Mason
Reply #46 - 02/26/08 at 10:14am

I love David Lynch movies and Captain Ron

i care.
View Profile | AIM   IP Logged
In front of a computer

I am hearts!

Master Mason
Reply #47 - 02/26/08 at 11:02am

Some call me Joe, some call me Joseph, some call me Jakuta.  I used to have online profiles as a guy named Carl too.  But they are gone now.

I grew up in a Baltimore suburb that had Beautiful Air and my house was across from a cow pasture.  One time lightning struck the fence and the cows got out and they were in my front yard.  I lived in that house all through my primary education, though one less father lived there at some point. During the course of my stay in the town with the Beautiful Air I became quite a goody two shoes (though these shoes often had large holes in them). I was an Eagle Scout and an All State Tuba Player.  I also played a lot of German board games and listened to Fugazi (I didn't even drink until college).   I also worked at McDonalds and was in a band called MacGregor’s Engine (we often played Freebird without even waiting for people to chant it ironically).

I wound up at the big state school and it was awful.  Just awful.  

After two years of drinking myself silly with people I didn’t like, I started working at WMUC and pretty much stopped going to classes.  I wound up becoming the music director, the promotions director, and host of the live music show.  I think I started writing poetry at this time too, and went to Europe, where I met my sister, whom lived in Paris.  My favorite band was The Silver MT Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra La La Band.  I also helped to start a band called the Morimotos - we played most of our shows with the Prisoner’s Dilemma.

At some point I started getting “internships” in my field - computer science.  They were in programs funded by the Army or the Pentagon or one of those.  I didn’t do much at any of them (I pretty much took naps at my desk and masturbated in the bathroom – I felt that was the best way I personally could contribute to the military industrial complex).  

I was not asked to stay at the second internship and became the manager of faux French café in DC and moved to Arlington, VA.  Though by night, my alter ego Carl and I were often an electronic tuxedo wearing super hero freaking out the squares in the Baltimore/DC music scene. One night there was a run in with the police and we decided to take the act to Austin, TX.  And that was just awful, but I did become a substitute teacher, which was nice most of the time, except when a kid through a calculator at the back of my head.  But the rest of Austin was just awful.  So we toured our way back and moved to DC again.

Carl and I began to go our separate ways, but we did manage to pull off an east coast tour while I was working at my new gig at the DCCC as a web developer, which was quite fun.  I once got to show John Conyers how to use the internets.  I also met this girl when I was working there, and she moved to NYC and I got on a bus every other weekend to see her, and she yelled at me all of the time for no reason, and she moved to Baltimore, and I quit my job in DC and moved to Baltimore, and she got tired of yelling at me all of the time for no reason and left, and now I live in Baltimore.

Addendum:
In Baltimore I have been "settling down" and been enjoying meeting many friendly people and becoming skilled in the arts of the yogi.  I have gotten involved in volunteering for some local environmental groups and have been accepted to study environmental policy at a graduate level.

« Last Edit: 02/26/08 at 11:23am by h_lina_k »  

Hearts Love intrigue Niceness and Kisses
View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #48 - 02/26/08 at 11:09am

Your life is a parade of awfulness.

Charles Village

the internet was
awesome today!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #49 - 02/26/08 at 3:28pm

"digital djick" is more like it.

baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #50 - 02/26/08 at 4:09pm

I am just summarising what he wrote.

In front of a computer

I am hearts!

Master Mason
Reply #51 - 02/26/08 at 4:10pm

I did use the word awful an awful lot.

Hearts Love intrigue Niceness and Kisses
Hampden, Baltimore, MD, USA

Why isn't there a
watermelon here?

Master Mason
Reply #52 - 02/26/08 at 4:15pm

He didn't seem too full of awe or reverential.  Wink

I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Blah Blah
View Profile | WWW | GTalk | AIM   IP Logged
Washington DC

I am people!

Entered Apprentice
Reply #53 - 02/27/08 at 10:51am

My name is Rachel Ariel Brandt, but after nineteen years of being one of at least three Rachels in any given room I decided to start going by my middle name.  It's still strange to me when I meet people who don't know that Ariel is my middle name, even though there's no reason that they should.  

I grew up in Denver, CO and went to private Jewish school for K-6.  I was always the weird kid, and it wasn't until I was in high school that I learned it was possible to have more than two friends at school. In 7th grade I switched to public school and never looked back.  I went to college at a tiny Quaker school in North Carolina, and am only now beginning to admit to the effect that a pacifist environment has had on me.  

I graduated in 2005 and moved back to Denver for a little over a year.  I worked at a nonprofit counseling agency and reconnected with some friends from high school, but ultimately decided that Denver was a bit too small of a pond for me at this point in my life.  I moved to DC in Sept. 2006 and have been here since.  I've lived in three different homes and neighborhoods in 18 months.  I miss Colorado weather, and being able to go snowboarding every weekend (not that I did, but it was always an option).  I love DC and want to spend the next six months exploring areas of the city I've not yet seen.

I came to beatbots via Dan, who posted a thoroughly boring response to this thread, despite the fact that he's led a pretty interesting life.  I am an amateur photographer and have done some concert photography.  If you're ever interested in having good pics taken of your band for free, be sure to drop me a line.  My passion is street photography, but I'm having a bit of an existential crisis.  In the meantime I'm an avid reader, and a reluctant office monkey who has been quickly disillusioned by the non-profit world.

View Profile | WWW | GTalk | AIM   IP Logged

silver sprung

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #54 - 02/27/08 at 1:15pm

raxxq wrote on 02/27/08 at 10:51am:
My name is Rachel Ariel Brandt, but after nineteen years of being one of at least three Rachels in any given room I decided to start going by my middle name.  It's still strange to me when I meet people who don't know that Ariel is my middle name, even though there's no reason that they should.  

I grew up in Denver, CO and went to private Jewish school for K-6.  I was always the weird kid, and it wasn't until I was in high school that I learned it was possible to have more than two friends at school. In 7th grade I switched to public school and never looked back.  I went to college at a tiny Quaker school in North Carolina, and am only now beginning to admit to the effect that a pacifist environment has had on me.  

I graduated in 2005 and moved back to Denver for a little over a year.  I worked at a nonprofit counseling agency and reconnected with some friends from high school, but ultimately decided that Denver was a bit too small of a pond for me at this point in my life.  I moved to DC in Sept. 2006 and have been here since.  I've lived in three different homes and neighborhoods in 18 months.  I miss Colorado weather, and being able to go snowboarding every weekend (not that I did, but it was always an option).  I love DC and want to spend the next six months exploring areas of the city I've not yet seen.

I came to beatbots via Dan, who posted a thoroughly boring response to this thread, despite the fact that he's led a pretty interesting life.  I am an amateur photographer and have done some concert photography.  If you're ever interested in having good pics taken of your band for free, be sure to drop me a line.  My passion is street photography, but I'm having a bit of an existential crisis.  In the meantime I'm an avid reader, and a reluctant office monkey who has been quickly disillusioned by the non-profit world.  

oh whatever, mine was boring, but at least it was boring and short!  Tongue

I got so much love to give!
baltimore

time is a weapon of
time

Master Mason
Reply #55 - 02/27/08 at 4:53pm

My name is Matthew Ryan Selander.I'm 31 pushing 32. I'm a life long Baltimoron, although I did live in Harford Co. (age 17-25) I grew up in the Overlea/Hamilton area. My earliest memories are of growing up with a holy roller mother who would speak in tongues and a dad who was in a motorcycle club. I was raised in a very blue collar home which has shaped a lot of my beliefs and anxieties.

I'm an only child and was a lonely kid. Couldn't swim, couldn't fight and didn't play sports. I was kind of a dunce until about tenth grade when I discovered Sonic Youth, Lungfish and Nurse With Wound. I finally found something to be passionate about. I delved head first into underground culture, modern art and avant-garde movies.

I did get into my share of trouble in Overlea so my parents decided they needed to pull up stakes and we moved to Bel Air. It was a good place to go to High School, not having to worry about catching a stray bullet while on the way to class is always a plus. The problem is that the comfort and security of the suburbs became a trap for a dude who had almost no idea what to do with himself.

After spending all of my weekends, and a good share of weeknights, in the City I moved to Charles Village in 2002. The last 6 years have been a lot of fun and I now know I can only live in a city despite being a crime victim several times as well as a victim of small town gossip.  

I came to Beatbots via Justin, who I know via Raven, who I know via a certain volatile ex-gf.

I'll now entertain questions

Once an experience is taken out of the real world it becomes a commodity. As a commodity the spectacular is developed to the detriment of the real. It becomes a substitute for experience."
- Larry Law
View Profile   IP Logged

the pa connection

Entered Apprentice
Reply #56 - 02/27/08 at 9:14pm

my name is nathan.
i currently reside in a town named elverson.
its in chester county pennsylvania.
a beautiful place to live surrounded by apple orchards, really old stone houses, a rare density of european hippies, and my audio equipment.

i was born in rural maryland. i grew up in a house surrounded by woods.
i loved the woods yet i also played a lot of video games.
i was a wordly man by my count.

i went off to umd where i met phil from spudnik in english class. the next year i transferred. phil later introduced me digitally to beau sometime after that. details foggy.

after college beau and i started a long distance but proper band known as north american (with a friend).
we still run a tiny record label but have really become recording machines. my anti social tendencies have only become stronger with age.

after 3 years in the business world i struck out to work with special needs kids. explanation complicated.

baltimore

rasterman

Master Mason
Reply #57 - 02/28/08 at 9:25am

Elverson sounds like fun. I'd like to visit once spring hits.

Reservoir Hill

Entered Apprentice
Reply #58 - 02/28/08 at 10:42am

eskimoprizefighter wrote on 02/27/08 at 4:53pm:

Is that you in your avatar, posing with a plaster pooch?

Master Mason
Reply #59 - 02/28/08 at 11:22am

Lars wrote on 02/28/08 at 10:42am:
eskimoprizefighter wrote on 02/27/08 at 4:53pm:

Is that you in your avatar, posing with a plaster pooch?

Isn't it Jeff Koons?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10