Getting to know youz (Read 36483 times)
Bmorz

i am not richard
ramirez, a troll, or
grover.

Master Mason
Getting to know youz
01/25/08 at 5:31pm

So I've been on here a while and I don't know a third of who you people are. Seems like there's a good deal of new folks on here and I am confused by all the ambiguous avatars so here goes. I'll go first. Post your myspace account/accounts on here too.

My real name is Peter. I went to RISD and stayed up there after for about five years pursuing illustration, painting, playing bass in punk bands you've never heard of, and working as an art manager/buyer/director in the textbook publishing industry.

After finally conceding that Providence, RI kicked my ass (small small small mean town. put baltimore under a shrink ray and give it a napoleon complex and put all the misanthropic alcoholics on steroids AND make sure there are no good jobs), I moved down here to Baltimore to try my hand at tattooing after getting a tattoo apprenticeship at Read St. tattoo. I worked at a foam recycling center by day and Sonar and Talking Head at night doing door and sidestage. I decided that I wasn't making that much progress with tattooing, was sick of getting water balloons thrown at me every single day so I started working with Neil at Lo-Fi Social Club doing art curation and later took over booking. My involvement ended with that club a little while back but I may start doing some work with them again. Will keep you posted on what happens with all that.

I'm currently unemployed, bored, single, stressed out and looking for work, a car, graphics applications, a new roommate, and a new computer. I love high fiving, horror movies, art, girls, beer and music. So far 2007 was way better than 2008 is turning out. I just got a $150 citation for urinating in public. Go me!

www.myspace.com/plazm
www.myspace.com/petergoode

Now who the hell are all you people?

"I love to kill people. I love to watch them die. I would shoot them in the head and they would wiggle and squirm all over the place, and then just stop. Or I would cut them with a knife and watch their faces turn real white. I love all that blood."
View Profile | WWW   IP Logged
Charles Village

the internet was
awesome today!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Re: Getting to know youz
Reply #1 - 01/25/08 at 6:12pm

good thread!

my real name is justin.  i was born in 1981 and grew up in annapolis, md.  i went to a private catholic school K - 12, which probably explains why i've got so much "catholic guilt" and i "run like a christian" as raven likes to say.  i first got involved with the local scene around the age of 14 / 15.  outside of the national bands that i'd heard on skate videos, some of the first punk bands that i was really into were: pee tanks, rubber sole / the thumbs, inquisition, fun size - pop punk stuff from annapolis, baltimore and virginia.  i got involved with the VFW 160 scene (the VFW right next to BWI) around 97 maybe - right around the time i got my drivers license.  that's how i came to know a bunch of people that are now living in baltimore: pat martin, mike riley, sam garner.  around that time i was in a ska punk band that played the VFW often ...

i went to the university of maryland college park from 1999 - 2004 and ended up with a degree in computer science.  it was really hard and i wasn't terribly into it, so i kind of skidded through by the seat of my pants the last year / year and a half.  during my early college years, i was in an emo band called Summersett that played the sidebar on an almost monthly basis.  this was also around the time that the St. Andrew's Church scene in college park was really going strong, so i gravitated towards those kinds of shows / bands / etc.  in my later college years i was djing at wmuc and working at the cd/game exchange which really helped open me up to a lot of new music that i'd never been exposed to before.  it was around this time that i started playing experimental music with a bunch of the guys from the cd/game exchange as They Can Never Take Our Crow.

right around the time i graduated college i birthed beatbots.com in the basement of La Casa Quintana in Hyattsville where i lived with raven, tem of de nada / super chinchilla rescue mission / medic, kristen (one of the first beatbots writers) and daryl and mashall of the dc hip hop group Critically Acclaimed.  plus the 3 or 4 dudes that were constantly sleeping on our couch.

raven and i moved to baltimore in april of 2005 and i mostly sat around in the apartment all day, unemployed.  eskimoprizefighter was my first friend in baltimore and he gave me the grand tour of the city / scene.  i then worked at city cafe for about 9 months (had a big beard at the time) until shit was finally too much to handle, so i quit.

now, i work full time at a very small web startup company that's located in fulton, md (legendary Scaggsville exit on 95).  its a suck commute from charles village, but the money is awesome and i enjoy the work.  we do a lot of stuff with dynamic multimedia publishing from mobile phones to the internet, from the internet to mobile phones, etc etc etc.  i'm one of the core developers for the website www.cellblock.com (which runs the beatbots photo stream).

for me, 2007 was very much a year about Beatbots ... trying to get the word out, make it better, and stuff like that.  overall, i feel like the year was pretty succesfull in that respect.  2008 for me is all about personal growth ... better developing some of my creative skills, working on being more social, etc.  trying to be less uptight and get out of the house more.  that isn't to say that beatbots isn't a huge part of my life (time, energy, etc) and i'm not going to push it (i've been workign for about two months on a big site relaunch - going live February 2nd/3rd!!) ... i'm just going to be a bit more practical about my approach.

wow, so i just spilled my guts all over the internet.

www.myspace.com/hxplsn
www.youtube.com/hexplosion
www.twitter.com/hxplsn
www.last.fm/user/mouff
www.hexplosion.com

« Last Edit: 01/25/08 at 7:18pm by Juxton »  

View Profile | WWW | AIM   IP Logged
annapolis

A Teenage Spaceship

Master Mason
Reply #2 - 01/25/08 at 6:30pm

nice, a chance to kill a half hour talking about myself!

My real name is James, but I was called Jamie until about 7th Grade. A school/city change gave me the opportunity to part with Jamie.

Went to Frostburg in Western MD for 4.5 years. Majored in art with a focus in graphic design. I enjoyed my classes and thought highly of my professors, but they weren't all that informative; they were extremely free and liberal, which isn't good if you're trying to pursue a technical career. Over the past few years, I've been trying to teach myself everything I should've learned. I worked at a hippie bar called Gandalfs, which was a good time. I was heavily into snowboarding and mountain biking there and I miss both terribly. I'd happily move back to the middle-of-nowhere in Garret or Allegany County if I could land a good job out there, but the job market is pretty thin.

Currently, I'm on a marketing team at a major guitar manufacturer. My main responibilities include our website and other web marketing projects (youtube/myspace/banner ads/etc). I've been there for 5 years and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I could be a lifer.

I live near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, on the Western side. My little area is ok for boring suburbia. I don't care much for Annapolis.

I'm also single, which is nice. I've been "involved" constantly for the last decade, so this is a welcome change of pace. I just need to stick to it. No one bitches every time a new box full of records come in.  

I'm jealous of you Baltimore folks with a steady amount of decent things to do. I'm stuck in this 30 year mortgage and can't move if I wanted to.

I'm about to go out and eat a lot of oysters and drink some pints.

I will see you fools tomorrow night.

www.myspace.com/jamesohhay

« Last Edit: 01/25/08 at 6:30pm by james »  
View Profile   IP Logged
annapolis

A Teenage Spaceship

Master Mason
Reply #3 - 01/25/08 at 6:45pm

it might be worth mentioning how you ended up on this site

i knew justin from high school. i wish we'd hung out more, though I don't know if I'd have been down with the emo band Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Charles Village

the internet was
awesome today!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #4 - 01/25/08 at 7:17pm

james wrote on 01/25/08 at 6:45pm:
i knew justin from high school. i wish we'd hung out more, though I don't know if I'd have been down with the emo band Smiley

we were in art class together and you lent me that dag nasty cd that i still have.  Smiley

macroint

Ex Member
Reply #5 - 01/25/08 at 11:26pm

My name is Jeff, I'm 44 years old, divorced and living in Columbia, MD.

I was born in Houston, TX, moved to Rochester, NY when my parents divorced. My mother caught the world travel bug in the mid-70's and hauled my sorry ass to Shiraz, Iran where we lived for a year and a half before being evacuated out two months before the Shah decided to call it quits. Returning to the States, we moved to Randallstown, MD where my mother's 4th (and last) husband, Gus,  was from (they met in Iran). Six months later, in 1979, we moved to Morocco. I went to a boarding school in Tangier where I graduated from highschool.

In 1982 I started college at York College of Pennsylvania and dropped out my first semester and joined the fucking US Navy. After a month, I woke up one morning and said "I hate fucking push-ups" and told the Navy that I didn't think I was into this shit, so I got a general discharge. Moved back to Randallstown, though my mother and Gus were still in Morocco. My mother didn't want me getting into trouble by myself, so she had me come to Morocco. I got stoned alot, stayed a few months and came back to the States in late February, '83 (with 1/4 kilo of hash). Watched tv alot, didn't really do much of anything, so I called some buddies from highschool who were going to college at Union College in Schenectady, NY and they said come on up. I sold a bit of the hash to get some cash to go up, but before I did, I stole a .38 Saturday Night Special my mother had from when she was a single mother with 3 kids (I have a brother and sister, I'm the youngest). I didn't really know what I was gonna do with the gun, but I thought it was the smart thing to do (Hey, I dropped out of college, so obviously I wasn't the smartest bird in the bunch). Took a bus up to Schenectady and stayed stoned with my buds for a week straight.

When the hash ran out, I figured it was time to move on, so I said goodbye and decided to go visit relatives in Rochester. Got to the bus station and discovered I had only enough money to get to Utica, so I bought a ticket. On the bus ride, I knew what I had to do and that's where the .38 came into play. When I arrived in Utica, I went to the bathroom, took the gun out of my backpack and started to put it into my jacket (a jacket that was too small for me since it had belonged to my bro). When the gun didn't fit, I ripped the pocket so it would. I loaded the gun first and stuck the rest of the shells in my other pocket and hit the road looking for my mark. It was March 17, 1983...St. Paddy's Day.

I walked around Utica for a couple of hours, trying to get my nerve up...finally came upon a Mobile gas station with a convenience store. I staked the place out for an hour, still trying to get my nerve. At 1:45pm, I headed in. I went to the back of the store, opened one of the refridgerated doors and took out a pint of chocolate milk. Went to the cash register and paid for it and started to leave.

I turned around, walked up to the register, drew the gun, pointed in the cashier's face and told her to give me the money or I'd blow her fucking head off. Well, that's how it would go down in my fantasy. But this is real life and it went a bit different.

I turned around, walked up to the register and put my hand in my pocket to get the gun. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the jacket was too small for me and the pocket wasn't all that big. If it was tough getting the gun in (which is why I ripped the pocket), it was impossible to get it out while my hand was wrapped around the butt. I yanked and pulled, but my hand and gun just wouldn't come out. The cashier probably thought I was retarded the way I was herking and jerking. After what seemed like an hour, I took my hand out, without the gun, then grasped the butt with a couple of fingers, while holding my jacket steady with the other hand. I slowly got the gun out, stuck it in the cashier's face and said...I shit you not: "This is a stick-up. Give me your money."

Obviously the cashier figured out I was a jackass and calmy said, "No." I said, "This ain't no joke, give me the money." She replied, "No. Get out of here." I made another half ass attempt at persuasion and when that didn't work, I turned around and left. I got about a mile away when I got picked up by the cops. It probably was easy picking me out since, like I said, I had just gotten out of the Navy, I was wearing a sailors hat and those big goofy black glasses.

Law and Order wasn't on at that time, or I'd have been smarter...instead, I jumped at the first offer they gave me and got 2-6 years (I could have and should have gotten County jail time, maybe a year).

In 1985, I was released and went back to Randallstown. I eventually went to Catonsville Communti College, got my Associates of Arts and then transferred to University of MD at College Park in '87 (I was turned down from Towson because my mother told me to lie on my application: "They don't need to know you were in prison"...what I failed to take into account was that I had done a semester of college in the joint and when Towson saw "Collins Corretional Facility" on my transcript, they knew I lied).

Ten years later I graduated with a worthless degree in African-American Studies. I didn't go to school continuously in those ten years...in late '90 I went back to Tangier and spent six months in prison there for trying to leave the country with 1/2 kilo of hash.

To be continued....

IP Logged
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #6 - 01/25/08 at 11:30pm

I'm back....

In '98 I got married. In '03 I got my Masters of Library Science and a divorce. In late '04, I started taping and found my calling. Fell into Beatbots in January '06 when I was looking to hit a Dirty Marmaduke show and Beatbots came on the radar. I've regretted that moment ever since.

http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/baltimoretaper
http://av.beatbots.com
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/macroint
http://www.citypaper.com/music/story.asp?id=14983

IP Logged
annapolis

A Teenage Spaceship

Master Mason
Reply #7 - 01/26/08 at 8:24am

great story

how did you get into taping?

View Profile   IP Logged
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #8 - 01/26/08 at 8:41am

james wrote on 01/26/08 at 8:24am:
how did you get into taping?

I started trading tapes of Dead shows in '93, followed by Phish and then found the whole community of other bands and stayed with that until 2003 when I just got tired of trading with people who didn't care about the music (songs cut off, flaws not noted, commercial releases traded). I went to a Bonerama show at The Funkbox in September '04 and was blown away (four trombones, a sousaphone, guitar and drums). I went home that night to look for a show to trade for and couldn't find any. It was at that point that I decided that I wanted to tape so I could have shows that I really wanted rather than trade for shows that other tapers deemed worthy of taping. Kinder of Evolution (local Baltimore white boy funk) was my first foray into taping on October 12, 2004 (they opened for Bio Ritmo, who I didn't stick around for).

For the first year and a half, I taped primarily at The Funkbox/8x10, mostly touring acts, a few locals here and there. It really wasn't until I fell into Beatbots that I discovered I was missing so much music right in my own backyard and started taping more local bands until, now, I tape primarily local acts. I miss The Funkbox, but I refuse to go to the 8x10 now because the new owner changed the taping policy where he supplies house mics (Audix) and you go in and patch off those. His mics are decent, but that's not taping...taping is using your own mics and since I paid an arm and a leg for mine, I wanna use 'em. But while I miss The Funkbox, it was really a godsend when they changed the policy...it forced me to look elsewhere and I discovered The Talking Head, Ottobar, Floristree and so many other cool and friendly venues.

IP Logged
Charmtown

What?

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #9 - 01/26/08 at 1:01pm

My real name is Robert, but like James, I went by the "little kid version" of my name, Bobby, until 8th grade or so, when a move from Brookings, SD (born and raised) to Olivia, MN gave me the chance to become a sophisticated young man. I have gone by Bob ever since. Moved to Battle Creek, NE (pop. 997) halfway through my freshman year and spent the rest of my high school years there.

Graduated high school in '00 (class of 35 kids) and was determined to follow in my dad's footsteps, so I enrolled in Army ROTC at Creighton University (Omaha, NE). My scholarship was worth well over $100,000, but I quit after less than a week. The morning workouts were terrible, and there was no way I was gonna stick with it for four years, so I cut my losses, embraced my laziness, and then proceeded to party and/or play video games (Counterstrike, anyone?) WAY too much for the remainder of my freshman year of college.

Transferred to Azusa Pacific University near Los Angeles after that, and eventually settled on Global Studies as a major. I loved it, as it was full of experiential learning (rather than classroom stuff) and during college I spent a semester in Yosemite National Park, downtown L.A., and finished it all off with a five month stint in San Salvador, El Salvador.

Worked at Trader Joe's for about seven months after I graduated from college and I was going nuts, so I accepted an Americorps position here in lovely Baltimore working as a program coordinator in an elementary school. During the summer after Americorps I applied to Baltimore City Schools as an ESOL teacher (I taught English in El Salvador) and they hired me, so in the whirlwind that was August of 2006, I took a teaching job, applied to grad school at Notre Dame, and instead of moving back to California like I had planned, I put down some roots in Baltimore.

Since moving to Baltimore in July '05 I bought my first house (which I only sort of regret), played lots of tunes with buddies, gone swimming as much as possible, and made tons of great friends, a few of which I met through Beatbots. I got involved with Beatbots after meeting Jux and Rae at a game night they had at their house right after I had moved here. My roommate at the time knew Jux from Annapolis and the rest is history. I met eskimoprizefighter there, too, but we didn't become buds until a bit later.

Beatbots has been a primary form of procrastination for me for the past two years, and for that I am both thankful and pissed. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Columbia, Missouri

going to eat your
brains and gain your
knowledge!

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #10 - 01/26/08 at 1:35pm

My real name is Jess. I'm 27. I was born and raised in York, PA, the daughter of a writer and the best mom in the world. I spent my childhood learning how to write fiction and ride horses, while dodging the cruel and unusual punishment of my peers. (It will likely come as no shock that being a Britpop kid obsessed with comics and video games does not find many sympathetic friends in rural America.)  From there, I moved to Baltimore where I obtained a B.A. in English and Creative Writing from Goucher. I spent a year studying abroad at Exeter University in Exeter, England, where I was the captain of the University's women's fencing team.

Then I got an M.A. in English and Creative Writing from Hollins University in Roanoke, VA. From 2003-2007, I worked as a PR flack, lecturer in English, stablehand, and writer/editor at Goucher, while contributing upwards of 300 art, music, and culture articles and reviews to the Baltimore City Paper. My fiction has appeared in The Allegheny Review, Zone 3, Zaum, 3:AM magazine, and other fine publications that people who aren't 'in the biz" probably haven't heard of. Currently, I reside in Columbia, MO, where I am a second semester Ph.D. student at the University of Missouri, where I study fiction writing, 19th century American literature, film/visual culture, and strategies for furthering my writing career. I am also a comic book and manga reviewer for PlaybackSTL, St. Louis's alt-weekly, and teach fiction writing and English composition to wide-eyed freshmen.

I got involved with Beatbots in a funny way. I met Justin at a show where the crowd was forming the characteristic standoffish Baltimore U around the stage. Amused by the crowd's reticence to ROCK, Jux and I formed an umlaut. And thus, our friendship was born, and my involvement with Beatbots began. I met Rae, Beau, Bob, and pretty much everyone else on here through Beatbots, or through being a complete Baltimore scene brat from 2003-2007, in a semi-misguided attempt to deny my true calling.

Whee!

My myspace is at www.myspace.com/prettyminotaur. It will cut you.

"I return to the party, but during my brief absence my friends have apparently been replaced by zombie doll-creatures from some long-forgotten nightmare. They look the same as ever, but exude evil. Something is dreadfully wrong."

http://www.j-bowers.com
View Profile | AIM   IP Logged
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #11 - 01/26/08 at 2:11pm

b     o     b wrote on 01/26/08 at 1:01pm:
Graduated high school in '00 (class of 35 kids)

I got you beat: my graduating class was 16 kids.

IP Logged

silver sprung

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
A/V Club
Reply #12 - 01/26/08 at 5:32pm

My real name is Dan.  I used to go by "Smooth Henry" when I was volunteering at WMUC, which is where I met Justin, Raven, Jakuta and some others on this board. I'm 23 and live in Adams-Morgan. By day I'm a systems administrator.

I got so much love to give!
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #13 - 01/26/08 at 6:03pm

Smooth Henry wrote on 01/26/08 at 5:32pm:
My real name is Dan.  I used to go by "Smooth Henry" when I was volunteering at WMUC, which is where I met Justin, Raven, Jakuta and some others on this board. I'm 23 and live in Adams-Morgan. By day I'm a systems administrator.

Boring!

IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #14 - 01/26/08 at 6:23pm

Raven--spent my first 20 years in Havre de Grace, MD a town that is best described as a really boring David Lynch movie.  After living in a series of crap apartments with my mom, we moved into this super old house when I was 7 that was heated with a wood stove & had no air conditioning.  The place was built in the 1840s and being a super morbid kid, I REALLY REALLY wanted it to be haunted.  I spent a lot of my childhood wondering if anyone had died in my room.  Basically an only child of working parents I spent a lot of time alone getting into trouble, reading and drawing shitty stick figure comics.  I mastered cursing at a very young age and spent my teen years as a total deliquent bitch.  I went to college because my mom guilt-tripped me (she never got to go) and ended up digging sociology & doing pretty well (dean's list, honors program, blah blah).  Then I didn't finish.  I nagged Justin till we moved to Bmore because the DC metro area is kinda lamez and I liked that every time I came up here I got super hammered & ridiculous shit happened (like getting kicked out of the Hampden public pool).  I am working on settling some debt so I can go back to school this year and be like, a real adult.

Blog.  

« Last Edit: 01/26/08 at 6:24pm by rae »  
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #15 - 01/26/08 at 6:27pm

I take it the house turned out to not be haunted?

IP Logged
bmore

Master Mason
Webzine Staff
Reply #16 - 01/26/08 at 6:35pm

Maybe.  But it was like, friendly 'ha I hid your keys' weirdness and not POLTERGEIST so I was disappointed.

Baltimore

Sly

Master Mason
A/V Club
Reply #17 - 01/26/08 at 6:46pm

My name is Nicky Otis Marloth Smith. I was born in Manhattan in 1992. In 2003, I moved to Baltimore and attended the Calvert School from 2003 to 2007 when I graduated. I am currently in the ninth grade at the Friends School of Baltimore. I have been making movies since 2003 and making music since 2005. I hadn't seriously begun to work on either of those until 2006 and 2007, respectively. My first major short film was Cowboy Crunch, shot during three very hot days in June 2006. Since then, I have made seven more short films, and they've been screened at various galleries and venues in Baltimore, such as the Current Gallery, the Red Room, Creative Alliance at the Patterson, and the Senator Theatre. During the summer of 2007, I began to make songs out of other songs with a sampler. An old friend, Jake Lingan, joined the band after a impromptu show at the Park School in July 2007. I named the band Engine after a song-writing partnership with a friend that started at Calvert in 2005. We played our first show on August 18, 2007 (coincidentally, Needle Gun played their first show exactly a year prior) at Charm City Art Space. Since then, we've played all around Baltimore, at venues such as the Hamilton Arts Collective, the Lo-Fi Social Club, and Friends School. In February, we'll be playing a "Coffee House Tour", with shows at the Bryn Mawr School, Roland Park Country School, and Friends School planned. We're currently recording an album, called Fringe, that will be released on MT6 Records in a couple of months. Once the album is finished, Jake and I will begin writing my next film, titled Munco Cat, a blaxploitation movie without black people. I submitted my short film Skells to the Maryland Film Festival, the New York Underground Film Festival, and the Ann Arbor Film Festival and I'll find out whether or not it got into any of those events within a month. The future is bright.

www.myspace.com/smithfilm
www.myspace.com/enginetunes

« Last Edit: 01/26/08 at 7:26pm by Grox »  
macroint

Ex Member
Reply #18 - 01/26/08 at 7:01pm

Grox wrote on 01/26/08 at 6:46pm:
My name is Nicky Otis Marloth Smith.

I'm gonna call you Otis from now on...

IP Logged